28th January 2021
A letter from the EHF President, Marijke Fleuren
I hope that you and your families are still keeping well both physically and mentally as we face into the new year.
We look ahead to resuming our EuroHockey events in 2021, but as you are all aware, there is still a lot of uncertainty due to the ongoing pandemic, which is still prevalent all over Europe.
Our Executive Board has been meeting regularly and taking advice from Government Agencies and our hosts to find the best solutions to deliver safe events in 2021.
As we did in 2020, the European Hockey Federation is committed to working with our hosts and teams to ensure the safety of our athletes, team staff, officials, volunteers and fans.
We are looking at windows of opportunity, which may not be ‘typical’ ones, to make sure that during 2021 as many EuroHockey events can take place as possible. We want to ensure that all our hockey players get to play again!
We ask that all clubs and nations bear in mind that the decisions that we will be taking may sometimes not be perfect, but we have tried to take into account all of your interests.
We are delighted that we have been able not to cancel but to postpone the EuroHockey Indoor Junior Championship season until December 2021.
To assist hosts and travelling teams, we have now appointed an EHF COVID19 Panel made up of Dr Udo Rolle (GER), Björn Isberg (SWE), Barbara Morgan (SCO) and the EHF Communications Manager, Siobhán Madeley. They work in close cooperation with the EHF Competitions Manager, David Voskamp.
We have agreed on COVID19Guidelines
The current planning for making final decisions on the running EuroHockey competitions in 2021 is as follows (this is subject to change):
– Euro Hockey League: An announcement with regard to the Euro Hockey League (men and women), the Euro Hockey League Cup (men) and Euro Hockey League U14 (boys and girls) events will be made in the coming days
- EuroHockey Club Trophy and Challenges (men and women), 31st March /5th April – Decision on 1st February
- EuroHockey Club Challenges (men and women), 20th/24th May – Decision due end March
- EuroHockey5s (men and women), 7th/10th July – Decision due end April
- EuroHockey5s Under 16 (boys and girls), 7th/10th July – Decision due end April
- EuroHockey U18 Championships (boys and girls), 18th/24th July – Decision due end April
- EuroHockey Championships II, III and VI (men and women), 1st/21st August – decision due end May
- EuroHockey Indoor Junior Championships (men and women), December – decision due end September
In addition to our Competitions, we have a full programme of Development events, so the planning for those is as follows:
- Coaches for Europe & Top Coaches Programme Seminar 1, March – postponed date TBC and further information by the end of January
- Umpires for Nations, Umpires for Europe, Umpire Development Programme, April – decision due mid-February (dependent on EHL decision)
- EuroHockey ID Championships, Youth Leadership Festival, Equally Amazing Leadership Forum, Twinning Development Conference, Coaches for Europe & Top Coaches Programme Seminar 2, Technical Officials, June – decision due end March
- Umpires for Nations, Umpires for Europe, Judges for Europe, August – decision due end May
- Umpire Development Programme, October – decision due end August
Any postponed or cancelled Development programmes will continue, where possible, ‘online’ as they did in 2020.
We will have regular updates on our COVID19 page as we look forward with hope to the year ahead.
I look forward to meeting you all on the side of pitches over the coming years and sharing the joy of hockey!
With kindest regards,
President, European Hockey Federation
If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
EUROPEAN HOCKEY FEDERATION (EHF)
Avenue des Arts 1-2
1210 Brussels, Belgium
Mob: +353 87 9066379